Saturday, December 15, 2007

Blue Christmas

What are you buying me for Christmas? Here are a few ideas from two make-it-yourself Christmas gift websites.

1. "Make a homemade picture frame. Buy an inexpensive picture frame. You can use plastic, but other materials should work fine, too. Gather or buy plastic Barbie doll accessories, beads, jigsaw puzzle pieces and other knick-knacks that symbolize the interests of the recipient. For example, for sports, you could use a plastic Barbie doll tennis shoes or plastic toy baseballs and popcorn from a doll house set. Then put a special poem or message in the frame, and you've got a show-stopping gift without the extravagant price tag." It's not really homemade if you bought it, now is it? You just crapped it up a little.

2. "We made writing paper with hand-drawn silly little doodles and hand-folded envelopes for some friends." Cheap.

3. "Two family members got creative and made by hand an 'action figure' of my husband and a marionette of me!" Creepy.

4. "I have been going down to my local recycling centre to see what's on offer. To my surprise, I found 10 glass coffee containers. Which are now glassed painted and filled with goodies for kids." Disgusting.

5. "Our children especially love hand-made gifts; in this age where everything is plastic, they relish the idea of love in a sweater." Sure they do.

6. "I'm going to give my art this Christmas. It gave me the motivation to finish the production of a demo CD. The first copies will go to my family and friends." Don't. They're the only ones who will buy it anyway.

7. "Give Linux for Christmas! It's free and it works like a charm! These days, distributions include not only the operation system that runs your computer, but applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, picture and sound editing, etc." Nevermind the stationery, this is the epitome of cheap. Why not just give a box of air, wrapped up with a bow? Because boxes and bows aren't free.

8. "When i got older i started to make little comics for my friends, that were about us and things we had done. always with an added twist and some inside humour. This is totally fun to do- even if you're drawings are crappy. (sic)" Or if you're six.

9. "Make a t-shirt. This is a gift that most fathers enjoy. Write things such as "#1 Dad" on it with squeezable fabric paint. Use their favorite colors and designs, or you could also make a sweatshirt the same way. " I'm going to make one for my dad this year, and see if it's still something I can get away with giving him at the age of 27. I'll let you know.

10. "Take a picture of the gift receiver. Stick it in the center of a piece of cardboard using a glue gun or a glue stick. Collect picture of things the receiver likes. Make a collage of the pictures around the persons picture. It is a very cheap, very cute gift for people of all ages." Ick.

Moral of the story: You don't have to spend a bundle on Christmas, but come on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh sorry miss little rich pants but I guess you do not know whats its like for us poor folk out there. While your living in your mansion I'll just be eating cat food and talking to myself.

merry xmas

Nick said...

Hey what is wrong with cat food? I mean it has all the healthy nutrients that a growing person may need, and i dont have to worry about my GI tract! I mean sure, the commercials are lying like hell when they say it taste like fish or real chicken!!! ANDDDD by the way...have you priced cat food lately????? Ramon noodles is the way to go if you want to look like you are poor!
Defination of Poor: Ramon noodles or lipton 99 cent alfredo dishes, drivie a honda Civic Si and live in a trailer.

Unknown said...

And Nick, you left off "have an iPhone and prissy-pants around in the company jet". Don't forget those.

By the way, that first comment was Ray. I told him until he gets those arms fixed and starts pulling his weight, it's straight up Meow Mix for him.

Nick said...

WOW...Ray...i mean with all that you went through with all of this, i really think you should demand Fancy Feast...i mean really dont you feel worth it?